What To Do If You Are Hit By A Police Vehicle?

If you crash into a police vehicle, you will likely face criminal charges, such as reckless driving or even vehicular assault. Depending on the circumstances and severity of the crash and injuries, you could be looking at a large fine, jail time, or both.

If a police vehicle crashes with your vehicle, you should remain at the scene and contact the police to report the accident. Depending on the crash, you may need to wait for the police to arrive to assess the scene and file a report. You should exchange insurance information with the other driver and take pictures of the scene if possible. Depending on the cause of the accident, you may be liable for damages. click here to learn more about auto accident cases. 

What to do if you are hit by a police vehicle?

The police can be held liable for negligence if their vehicle is involved in a crash with yours. Negligence is a failure to take reasonable care, and the police may be held legally responsible for any injury or damage caused by their failure to take reasonable care.

Can I sue the police officer?

Yes, you may be able to sue the police if a police vehicle crash with yours. Depending on the circumstances of the collision, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the police officer or the police department. You should consult an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your legal options.

Role of an auto accident lawyer

You should consult a lawyer if you consider taking legal action against the police for a vehicle crash. A lawyer can help you determine your legal rights and options, advise you on the merits of your claim, and help you navigate the legal process.

Your lawyer can help you file a claim against the police officer that caused the accident in the following ways. 

  1. File a civil lawsuit against the police officer and/or the police department for negligence.
  2. Gather evidence to prove that the police officer was negligent and establish the damage you have suffered as a result of the crash.
  3. Negotiate a settlement with the police officer or police department.
  4. Represent you at trial if needed.
  5. Obtain a judgment against the police officer and/or police department for your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses.
  6. Seek to have the judgment enforced.