Most database professional will easily identify Oracle and PostgreSQL as a very popular database management systems that offers wide arrays of features and tools. Moreover, when you compare these two DBMS, you will realize that Oracle has more strict licensing terms and a high cost of acquiring the software however, the PostgreSQL falls underliberallicense that looks very similar to BSD or MIT which is an open source. This points is one of the reasons why a lot of companies would love to move their database fromOracle to PostgreSQL.
The steps below explains why Oracle to PostgreSQL database migration may be considered:
- Export Oracle table definitions in form of data definition language (DDL) statements
- Convert DDL statements into PostgreSQL format including correct type mapping, substitution of Oracle embedded functions that are not supported in PostgreSQL, etc
- Import the resulting table definitions into the target PostgreSQL database
- Export Oracle data from the source database into an intermediate storage in comma separated values (CSV) format
- Convert the data in order to comply with PostgreSQL format providing necessary transformation of binary data, dates and escaping special symbols in text fields when it is required.
- Import the resulting CSV files into the target database
- Export Oracle views, stored procedures and triggers in form of SQL statements and source code
- Transform these statements and source code according to the destination forma
- Import it into the PostgreSQLdatabase
The points listed above indicates that it is not easy to convert Oracle database into PostgreSQL format manually. This tedious process takes a lot of efforts and human factor which can cause loss of data or corruption. To automate database migration and avoid the related risk, some specific software is required.
You will find few companies that provides database automation database migration services for Oracle to PostgreSQL. One of this solution is Oracle to PostgreSQL conversion tool created by Intelligent Converters, a software company that has been offering database migration solutions since.
- The following database objects are converted: table definitions, data, constraints, indexes, foreign keys
- The converter implements direct connection and bulk insert techniques in order to reach high performance of the database conversion process
- It supports all versions of Oracle and PostgreSQL including “software as a service” (SAAS) variations of these database management systems
- For purpose of automation Oracle to PostgreSQL converter provides command line support
- The converter allows to merge and to synchronize existing PostgreSQL database with Oracle data
- Conversion settings are stored into profile
Aside this features,Oracle to PostgreSQL converter offers awesome and flexible with powerful option as filtering data via SELECT-queries. This feature allows to select columns and records for conversion or even to make some transformations of the data before converting it into PostgreSQL format. See below a few examples of using SELECT-queries for different purposes.
- Filtering records:
- Select and rename particular columns:
- Skip NULL values:
- Merge two tables:
As every product of Intelligent Converters, Oracle to PostgreSQL database migration tool is supplied with unlimited support and 1 year subscription for updates.