With the ever-evolving fashion industry, there is an increased demand and value for skilled designers. Hence, pursuing a B. Des Fashion Design career can provide you with a plethora of job opportunities in various fields of design, such as merchandise manufacturing, textile brands, boutiques, fashion designing hubs, etc.
What is B. Des in Fashion Designing?
- Des in Fashion Design is an undergraduate course that imparts theoretical and practical skills to students in textile science, pattern designing, computer and manual designing, merchandise marketing, etc. The B.Des course in Fashion Design is four years long and divided into eight semesters, with B. Des in Fashion Design fees ranging between ₹1.5-4 lakhs.
- Des in Fashion Design: Key Details
Here are some key details about the B. Des Fashion Design course:
- Full form: Bachelor of Design in Fashion Design
- Level: Undergraduate
- Stream: Design
- Course Duration: Four years
- Mode: Full Time/Regular
- Type of Exam: Semester
- Eligibility criteria: Candidates must have passed 10+2 from a recognised board with a minimum of 50% marks
- Selection Process: Entrance Exam based/ Merit-based
- Des Course Fees: ₹1.5-4 lakhs
- Job Prospects: Fashion Designer, Graphic Designer, Design Managers, Fashion Stylist, etc.
- Des Fashion Design Salary: ₹4-6 lakhs
- Des in Fashion Design: Eligibility Criteria
While the eligibility criteria for B. Des Fashion Designing may vary with colleges, the common eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Candidates must have completed their 10+2 from a recognized board in any stream.
- The minimum marks to get into B. Des in Fashion Design usually ranges between 45-55% marks.
- Most colleges require students to score the required cut-off marks in entrance exams such as SEED (Symbiosis Entrance Exam for Design), NID DAT (National Institute of Design-Design Aptitude Test), IIAD (Indian Institute of Art and Design Entrance Exam), etc.
- Des in Fashion Design: Admission Process
Admissions to B. Des in Fashion Design vary with colleges and are offered based on the candidate’s score in the entrance exam or based on the academic score. Here’s how you can get into the course:
- Entrance exam-based
Admission to the B.Des course through entrance exams requires candidates to obtain the desired score by the college. The exam may be followed by personal interviews where candidates’ general aptitude is tested. Some of the entrance exams for B.Des admissions are SEED (Symbiosis Entrance Exam for Design), NID DAT (National Institute of Design-Design Aptitude Test), IIAD (Indian Institute of Art and Design Entrance Exam), etc.
Merit-based admissions to B. Des is based on the marks scored by the candidates in their 10+2. Candidates are required to check the merit list of desired colleges if they are eligible for admission to the course. If yes, they can visit the college and submit the required documents and fulfill other formalities.
- Des Fashion Design Syllabus
The B. Des in Fashion Design course duration is four years, with a syllabus spread over eight semesters. Below are the semester-wise B. Des Fashion Design subjects:
- Des in Fashion Design: First-year
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Visualisation and Representation||Design Process|
|Fashion Studio-I||Fashion Studio-II|
|Fashion Illustration-I||Design Process|
|History of Art and Design-I||History of Art and Design-II|
|Overview of Fashion Industry||Fabric Studies-I|
|History of Fashion-I||History of Fashion-II|
- Des in Fashion Design: Second-year
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|History of Fashion-III||Draping Science|
|History of Art and Design-III||History of Design and Fashion|
|Fashion Studio-III||Fashion Studio-IV|
|Elective 1- Design Elective||Elective 4- Contextual Elective|
|Elective 2- Atelier Elective||Elective 5- Fashion Allied Elective|
|Elective 3- Advanced Studio Elective||Elective 6- General Program Elective|
- Des in Fashion Design: Third-year
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Apparel Production and Quality Control||Entrepreneurship|
|Fashion Studio V||Fashion Studio-VI|
|Fashion Merchandising and Marketing||Design Dissertation|
- Des in Fashion Design: Fourth-year
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|CAD and Grading||Fashion Accessories|
|Design Creation||Material Exploration|
- Des in Fashion Design: Jobs
- Des Fashion Design career involves job opportunities in areas such as merchandise manufacturing, textile brands, boutiques, fashion designing hubs, etc. Some of the B. Des Fashion Design jobs are as follows:
|Job Role||Average Salary (per annum)|
|Fashion Designer||₹3.95 lakhs|
|Fashion Stylist||₹4.30 lakhs|
|Fashion Analyst||₹4 lakhs|
|Apparel Quality Manager||₹5 lakhs|
|Pattern Designer||₹3 lakhs|
|Design Manager||₹10 lakhs|
|Graphic Designer||₹3 lakhs|
Top B. Des in Fashion Designing Colleges
Due to the never-fading job opportunities in the fashion industry, B.Des Fashion Design career is a lucrative choice. While the course is offered by many colleges in India, some of the top B. Des colleges in Fashion Design are as follows:
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- Pearl Academy, Mumbai
- School of Fashion Design, Mumbai
- D Goenka School of Fashion and Design, Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi
- Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Chennai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- Des in Fashion Design is an excellent choice for students who wish to excel in the fashion industry. The course offers various job opportunities in different fashion design fields. You can also opt for higher studies such as a Master of Design in Fashion Design, Master of Science in Fashion Design, or Master of Business Administration after completing your B. Des in Fashion Design degree. But, before deciding to pursue the course, you must research the best colleges, their admission process, and eligibility criteria to avoid hassles. And the easiest way of doing it is by registering with Sunstone, a leading education service provider.
Sunstone is committed to helping you build the future you envision. It offers an amalgamation of learning and career growth through fluid skill-development training modules. Moreover, Sunstone offers 100% placement assistance through all its 50 college campuses. By pursuing B. Des from Sunstone, you can become future-ready.