I was reading Becoming a Technical Leader: An Organic Problem-Solving Approach by Gerald M. Weinberg where he shares practical advices and lessons he learned for those who wants to lead.
I particularly loved the following lesson:
Lesson Number Ten: If you are a leader, the people are your work. There is no other work worth doing.
Leader, Practice This
If you are a leader these can help you do your work:
- Ask your people "do you have a dream?".
- The Carrot Is Mightier Than A Stick.
- Let your team play, make it a game.
- Build vulnerability based trust.
- Emotional intelligence is your friend. Park your emotions.
- Partner with your people. Do not just direct.
- Affirm accomplishments of your people – personally and publicly. Brag about your team!