Emotional Intelligence – Higher Order Skills
Mastered Emotional Intelligence Core Skills? Are you able to manage your own emotional energy?
Now you can use EI to lead and empower others by utilizing EI higher order skills
Daniel A. Feldman offers higher order EI skills in his book Emotionally Intelligent Leadership: Inspiring Others to Achieve Results
- Taking responsibilities
- Acting independently and with accountability
- Owning a problem as well as a resolution
- Generating choices
- Be open to varied possibilities in anything
- Discover available choices and help other recognize it
- Embracing a Vision
- Committing to a particular view of the future
- Need to have guide actions and to be communicated to others.
- Having courage to:
- Look at my choices and myself
- Take responsibility
- Buck trends and standard modes of operation
- Make tough decisions
- Demonstrating resolve
- Make decisions what to do with firm determination
- Demonstrate commitment to a plan of action
- Responsibility checklist
- Am I making a contribution?
- Am I fully accepting the consequences of the actions I’ve taken?
- In light of my subordinates’ reactions, is what I am doing discouraging them or uplifting then?
- Based on my actions thus far, whom am I serving?
- Choice building
- Let go of the need to be always right, of having only valid solution, of the need to control.
- Solicit choices from others
- Invite ideas from outside my current experience and culture
- Vision linking
- Select vision that I can willingly and actively embrace
- Use metaphors to make accessible by others
- Own it and live it
- Incorporate it in my daily language
- Lighting the fire
- Recognize what I am afraid of
- Focus on the benefits, not fear, of taking the risk
- Tolerate the discomfort
- Practice by envisioning the steps to success.
- Firming up
- Choose reachable and worthwhile long-term goals according to my values
- Build short term targets
- Develop a support network for my intention
- Anticipate and prepare for difficulties and obstacles
- Continually renew my resolutions.